The Argus

The Argus for news, sport, Brighton and Hove Albion, entertainment, video, blogs and for Brighton Hove Lewes Worthing Shoreham Newhaven and Sussex.

Featured Writers

Harry Bullmore

Jack of all trades, (self-professed) master of some

View Portfolio

Sophie Halle- Richards

Reporter at Cavendish Press / Sheffield Journalism Graduate with First Class Honours

View Portfolio
Skills: Reporter
Specialisms: Journalism

Becky Snowden

I received my NCTJ Diploma in Journalism from Brighton Journalist Works. I am a reviewer and story writer …

View Portfolio
Specialisms: Journalism

Jamie Micklethwaite

Freelance journalist trained at News Associates. Temporary Reporter at The Brighton Argus

View Portfolio
Skills: Reporter
Specialisms: News

Rachelle Foster

I am a writer with particular interest in arts & culture, mental health and the LGBTQIA+ community.

View Portfolio

Latest Articles

Company offering people the chance to win a year's worth of 'chicken nuggets'

lovers the opportunity to win a year’s worth of their favourite food. However, there is an ulterior motive to The Fry Food Family Co’s generous offer. The nuggets will be meat-free alternatives. The brand, which specialises in vegan food, recently launched a survey which found that eight in ten adults “found swapping to a meat-free diet far easier to adapt to than they could have ever imagined”. So, the company hopes that winning a year’s supply of its nuggets could motivate one person to ma
By Harry Bullmore
The Argus

This is how to make Bake Off star's Hollywood handshake-worthy biscuits

THE Great British Bake Off has had viewers glued to their screens (and biscuit tins) for five weeks now. Over the years the show has inspired thousands of people to don their aprons and try their hand at cooking and this year is no different. Some of the best recipes from the series so far have been released by the Bake Off team, including Lottie Bedlow from Littlehampton’s mouthwatering “quarantine florentines”. The 31-year-old’s sublime sour cherry, ginger, coconut and almond biscuits were
By Harry Bullmore
The Argus

Knuckle duster and drugs seized by police patrolling in city centre park

A KNUCKLE DUSTER and drugs were seized by police patrolling a city centre park. Officers arrested two 23-year-old men during a busy day at The Level in Brighton last Friday. One was detained on suspicion of possession of an offensive weapon in a public place and possession of a class B drug after the knuckle duster and cannabis were recovered. The knuckle duster was seized and the man cautioned. A second man, Jason Barrett, of no fixed address, was arrested after he failed to turn up to cour
By Harry Bullmore
The Argus

Council slams 'shameful' act after man tries to sell Banksy 'taken from seafront'

THE “shameful” actions of a man who claims he snatched a Banksy from a seafront wall have been condemned. Brighton and Hove City Council says it is looking into the incident after the man appeared on the BBC’s Antiques Roadshow attempting to have the artwork valued. On the show, the man said: “I used to live in Brighton in the late 90s, early 2000s, and I was walking along Brighton seafront and I saw it on the lido (sic). “It looked loose. I went over, pulled it off basically. “(I gave it) a
By Harry Bullmore
The Argus

Police called to reports a man had taken his own life

POLICE were called to a property after reports that a man had taken his own life, an inquest opening heard. Emergency crews found the man hanged in Godwin Road, Hove, on November 22. They cut him down and paramedics carried out CPR but he could not be saved. He was pronounced dead at 3.53pm, Brighton and Hove coroner Veronica Hamilton Deeley heard. A provisional cause of death was given as hanging. The man was identified using a photograph held on the police system as 35-year-old Christopher T
By Harry Bullmore
The Argus

These are the venues offering free school meals in Sussex

THERE was widespread anger after the rejection of a proposal to extend free school meals during the holidays until next Easter. The bid, championed by England footballer Marcus Rashford, was defeated by 322 votes to 261 on Wednesday. Following the result, the 22-year-old urged people and politicians to "put aside all the noise, the digs, the party politics" and "unite to protect our most vulnerable children". • READ MORE: Meet the burger specialists given Marcus Rashford's seal of approval aft
By Harry Bullmore
The Argus

Meet the burger specialists applauded by Marcus Rashford for their generous actions

MARCUS Rashford has applauded the efforts of a burger company which is offering to provide a free lunch to all schoolchildren. The announcement from No Bones in Hastings comes after the Manchester United star’s bid to extend a scheme offering vulnerable children free school meals during the holidays until next Easter was out-voted in the House of Commons on Wednesday. Following the rejection of the proposal, Hastings-based vegan kitchen No Bones decided to take matters into its own hands, anno
By Harry Bullmore
The Argus

Man dies in fire at marina

THE body of a man has been recovered from the scene of a fire at a storage facility, police have confirmed. The death is currently being treated as unexplained following the incident at Littlehampton Marina shortly after 1pm yesterday. Smoke billowed from the building at the height of the blaze, with crews from West Sussex Fire and Rescue Service rushing to the scene. In a statement, the service described the incident as a "small fire" and said that had been able to extinguish the flames by 3
By Harry Bullmore
The Argus

Fresh inquest to be held into death of woman murdered by her boyfriend

A FRESH inquest will be held into the death of a woman who was murdered by her boyfriend. The new inquest into the death of Susan Nicholson from Worthing is set to take place after her parents won a High Court challenge. The 52-year-old was murdered in 2011, just five years after her boyfriend, chef Robert Trigg, had killed 35-year-old Caroline Devlin - another of his lovers. Neither death was initially deemed suspicious by police. • READ MORE: Family's bid for fresh inquest after the murder
By Harry Bullmore
The Argus

Late-night basement fire caused by unattended candle

A LATE-NIGHT fire in the basement of a domestic property was caused by an unattended candle. Fire crews were called to York Road in Hove at 10.20pm yesterday to deal with the blaze. Teams from Preston Circus and Hove were quickly able to extinguish the flames. But the discovery of the source of the fire prompted station manager Paul Coppard to issue a warning to anyone lighting candles in their homes. He said: “Candles in the home are becoming a more and more popular way to add relaxation to
By Harry Bullmore
The Argus

Coronavirus death recorded at Brighton hospital trust for first time in five days

A BRIGHTON hospital trust has recorded its first coronavirus death in five days. Brighton and Sussex University Hospitals NHS Trust reported the death of one patient in the 24 hours leading up to 5pm on Wednesday. There have now been 152 virus deaths at its sites. Across Sussex, there were a further 168 cases reported in 24 hours, latest official figures show. There have now been a total of 9,324 positive tests in the county.The greatest increase recorded in the 24 hours leading up to 9am yes
By Harry Bullmore
The Argus

'Ghost station' finally closes...14 years after last passenger train visited site

A TRAIN station will close today, a staggering 14 years since a passenger train last pulled into the seaside stop. A single daily service heading to Brighton called at the Newhaven Marine "ghost station" between 2016 and early 2019, but no passengers were able to get on or off the train. Dubbed a "parliamentary train", this once-a-day occurrence was necessary for the station to remain officially open. However, the site has long been in a state of disrepair with piles of rubble where the stati
By Harry Bullmore
The Argus

Brighton stays in tier one but people warned they 'cannot afford to be complacent'

BRIGHTON and Hove will remain in tier one, the lowest rating in the government’s coronavirus alert system, after a small drop in weekly coronavirus cases. But the city’s director of public health, Alistair Hill, is urging people not to be complacent with Covid-19 precautions as there are still “too many new cases”. In the week leading up to October 17 there were 244 new coronavirus cases recorded in the city, down slightly from the 250 confirmed the week before. This apparent stabilisation co
By Harry Bullmore
The Argus

PICTURED: Investigation launched after train derails as it leaves station

AN INVESTIGATION has been launched after a train derailed as it pulled away from a railway station. No trains were able to serve Bognor for more than nine hours after the incident, which happened shortly before 5.30am. Southern Rail confirmed there had been a "low speed derailment" involving one of its trains and organised rail replacement buses for affected passengers running between Bognor and Barnham. Network Rail and Rail Accident Investigation Board staff were called to the site and laun
By Harry Bullmore
The Argus

Large emergency response to 'incident involving storage facility' at marina

FIRE crews have been joined by other emergency teams at the scene of "an incident involving a storage facility". Smoke billowed from the roof of the building this afternoon as firefighters worked to extinguish a blaze at Littlehampton Marina. West Sussex Fire and Rescue Service issued a statement on the incident at 1.20pm as crews attended the scene in Ferry Road. A spokesman for the service said: "We currently have four fire engines at an incident involving a storage facility in Ferry Road,
By Harry Bullmore
The Argus

Tory MP quits government role over defeat of free school meals proposal

A SUSSEX Conservative MP has quit a government role after her colleagues voted down a proposal to extend a free school meals scheme championed by Manchester United striker Marcus Rashford. Eastbourne MP Caroline Ansell was one of five Tory politicians to rebel against the party and support the motion, which was defeated by 261 votes to 322 yesteday. Of the votes against, 318 were cast by Conservative MPs. The scheme would have provided more than one million vulnerable children with free schoo
By Harry Bullmore
The Argus

Man seen with gun in residential street after 'dispute'

POLICE descended on a residential street following reports of a man with a gun. Officers were called to Turner Road in Broadwater, near Worthing, shortly after 8am and arrested a man. A statement from Adur and Worthing Police on the incident said: “At about 8.13am this morning, we responded to a report of a man in possession of a firearm in Turner Road, Broadwater. “The area was contained and we safely arrested a man. An air rifle has been recovered. “This incident was the result of a disput
By Harry Bullmore
The Argus

'Unfortunately...the Tories just don't care' - how Sussex MPs voted on free school meals

MANCHESTER united star Marcus Rashford's campaign to extend a free school meals scheme was rejected yesterday. The Labour proposal, which would have seen free school meals for 1.3 million vulnerable children over the holidays extended until Easter next year, was defeated by 322 votes to 261. Of the 322 votes against the proposal, 318 were cast by Conservative MPs including several from Sussex. The rejection of the campaign sparked backlash from many, including Brighton Kemptown's Labour MP Ll
By Harry Bullmore
The Argus

School shuts until next month after senior staff member diagnosed with coronavirus

A SCHOOL has been forced to close until next month after a senior staff member tested positive for coronavirus. Benfield Primary School off Old Shoreham Road in Portslade will not reopen until after the October half term holiday due to the number of staff members it currently has self-isolating. School leaders wrote to parents on Monday following a first confirmed case of Covid-19 within the institution’s community. Yesterday, a second update was provided saying that a second case had been co
By Harry Bullmore
The Argus

Significant 24-hour increase in coronavirus cases reported across Sussex

THE number of recorded coronavirus cases in Brighton and Hove increased by 81 over the last 24 hours, official figures show. Public Health England figures show that 1,813 people had been confirmed as testing positive for Covid-19 by 9am yesterday in the city, up from 1,732 the same time on Tuesday. The rate of infection in the city is now 623 cases per 100,000 people, below the England average of 1,190. • READ MORE: Brighton leaders say no to stricter lockdown measures in the city Brighton an
By Harry Bullmore
The Argus

All lines blocked after train derails as it pulls away from station

A TRAIN left the rails as it pulled away from a station. No trains will be able to stop at Bognor station today following the early hours incident. The derailment was reported shortly before 5.30am, leaving all lines in and out of the station blocked. A Southern Rail spokesman confirmed that no passengers or crew had been injured during the incident. He said: “A very low speed partial derailment occurred at Bognor as a train was leaving the platform. "Network Rail and Rail Accident Investig
By Harry Bullmore
The Argus

Marathon postponed for third time as organiser calls for events industry support

A MAJOR marathon has been pushed back for a third time after organisers said it had become clear it would "not be possible" for the run to be held next spring. The Brighton Marathon Weekend will now be held between September 10 and September 12, 17 months after the event was originally scheduled to take place. The reason for the second postponement is the rising coronavirus infection rate in the UK, with Prime Minister Boris Johnson saying more stringent lockdown restrictions introduced in Sep
By Harry Bullmore
The Argus

Stafford Road Brighton murder: Chef found guilty after trying to blame flatmate

A CHEF has been found guilty of the murder of a young man in a city centre flat. Francesco D’Agostino, 45, was convicted of murder after stabbing Serxhio Marku to death in Stafford Road, Brighton. The Italian tried to blame his flatmate Giuseppe Petriccione, 46, for causing the fatal injuries to the 21-year-old. • READ MORE: Murder inquiry launched after stabbing in Stafford Road, Brighton The pair were both accused of luring the young man to the flat and murdering him. Both denied the offen
By Harry Bullmore
The Argus

Sussex contestant leaves Great British Bake Off tent after eclairs fail to impress

PASTRY week proved a bridge too far for one Sussex cook as she became the latest to leave the Great British Bake Off tent. Linda Rayfield from Bexhill was eliminated in week five despite having recently impressed judges Paul Hollywood and Prue Leith with her intricate baking skills in the Channel 4 television show. The 61-year-old became a dark horse in the competition when she claimed the top spot in two technical challenges on the trot. But she could not make it a third, falling to the botto
By Harry Bullmore
The Argus

Fight to bring Brighton's Banksy home (and how it could help save seafront lido)

IN AN unexpected twist of fate, Banksy could provide a huge boost to plans to restore a popular seafront lido. This comes after a man snatched a piece by the world's most famous street artist from Brighton seafront in 2004 before taking it on Antiques Roadshow to have it valued earlier this year. Appearing on the popular BBC show, the man said: “I used to live in Brighton in the late 90s, early 2000s, and I was walking along Brighton seafront and I saw it on the lido (sic). "It looked loose.
By Harry Bullmore
The Argus

Hunt for suspects continues two days after gunshots heard during city centre fight

TWO suspects are still on the loose after gunshots were heard during a city centre fight. A man was seen pointing a weapon at another, who defended himself with a traffic cone, during the altercation in Rock Place, Brighton, shortly before noon on Monday. Sussex Police later confirmed that one of the men was in possession of a firearm as armed officers shut down the St James's Street area of the city and launched a large search. The police helicopter was scrambled to assist ground units in th
By Harry Bullmore
The Argus

UPDATE: Police release descriptions of suspects still not found after armed fight

TWO suspects remain the subject of a police investigation after gunshots were heard during a city centre fight. Armed police shut down the St James’s Street area of Brighton as officers launched a search for a man and a woman believed to have been involved in the assault. Sussex Police said one of the attackers had a gun which is believed to have been shot during the incident at Rock Place shortly before noon today. Passers-by told The Argus they had heard the sound of a “gunshot” and a “loud
By Harry Bullmore
The Argus

Slow traffic on A27 after police car damaged in crash with Mercedes

A POLICE car was badly damaged in a collision with a Mercedes. There is slow traffic on the A27 Upper Brighton Road following the incident at about 3.45pm. The wheel arch and driver's door of the police car have been battered and misshapen in the collision. However, the grey Mercedes appears to have been more heavily damaged. The grill and front bumper came loose in the crash and both were left hanging off the car. One of its front lights could also be seen on the road, surrounded by small
By Harry Bullmore
The Argus

Brighton wants its Banksy back after man tries to sell piece on Antiques Roadshow

PEOPLE from Brighton want their Banksy back after a man tried to sell a piece taken from a wall in the city on Antiques Roadshow. The image of a cartoon rat holding a pneumatic drill underneath the street artists tag was valued at more than £20,000, but it could not be authenticated as it had been taken “removed from the public domain”. Appearing on the popular BBC show, the man said: “I used to live in Brighton in the late 90s, early 2000s, and I was walking along Brighton seafront and I saw
By Harry Bullmore
The Argus

Armed police close city centre street after residents report 'shots fired'

ARMED police have closed a city centre street after an assault by someone who was "potentially carrying a firearm". Officers remain on the scene in Rock Place, off St James's Street in Brighton. Residents have reported that they heard "shots fired" during the incident at about 1pm. The street is now cordoned off with a heavy police presence in the area. A Brighton and Hove Police spokesman said: "We are in attendance at Rock Place, Brighton, following an early report today of a man being ass
By Harry Bullmore
The Argus